1. For outlining that novel you want to write, we’re huge fans of Contour from Mariner Software. There is no better way to plan and structure your novel, which I can promise you will save you tons of time and editing down the line. Seriously, go get it! (And while you’re there use my discount code: AFFLE5 for $12 off.)
2. To learn everything you know about getting from A — to published, check out the digital program Your Big Beautiful Book Plan. It’s slightly pricey, but worth every penny. Save up or put it on your birthday list. With several New York Times Bestsellers under their belts, the creators, Danielle LaPorte and Linda Sivertsen know what they’re talking about. Read more here.
3. For web hosting, we’ve tried it all. Seriously. We wholeheartedly recommend Bluehost ($), Media Temple ($$) and WPEngine ($$$ – but worth every penny in terms of stability, security, and customer service).
4. We can’t say enough good things about WordPress.
5. To back up your computer (yes, everything on it!) for $5 / month, BackBlaze is fantastic. It does it all automatically, so you don’t even have to think about backing up your work yourself.
Also be sure to check out:
Mailchimp! (our preferred mailing list server). They’ve never done us wrong in 4+ years of sending out newsletters and messages to our readers. And, they are free for the first 2000 subscribers to your mailing list.
For You to Know: As a dear reader I want you to know that some of the links on this page are affiliate links. This means that clicking on and purchasing through a link may help me earn a small commission, which as indie media, helps make The Write Lifestyle possible. Thank you for your support!